News

Nut allergy: daughter dies from good-night kiss

Nut allergy: daughter dies from good-night kiss


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Kiss causes allergic shock in young women
A 20-year-old young woman from Canada has tragically died from her nut allergy. As the mother explained in an interview with the "Journal de Québec", Myriam Ducre-Lemay was newly in love with a man who knew nothing about the strong allergy. When he kissed her after eating a peanut butter sandwich, she suffered anaphylactic shock and eventually died in the hospital.

Freund didn't know about the allergy
Tragic end of a young love: In Montreal (Canada), a young woman was killed by a kiss from her boyfriend, according to a report by "Bild" The case happened four years ago, but only now did the mother of the 20-year-old speak about it publicly to warn other victims. Her daughter Myriam Ducre-Lemay had only just met her boyfriend at the time and had not yet told him about her extreme allergy to nuts. When they got home after a party, the young man ate a peanut butter sandwich - but his girlfriend didn't notice.

Allergens can remain in saliva for hours
The story took a dramatic course because after giving Myriam a good night kiss, the young woman suffered a severe allergic shock. In a matter of minutes, her condition deteriorated drastically and she could hardly breathe. The reason for the reaction was the remains of the peanut butter in the mouth of the man, because traces of allergens can still be present in human saliva a few hours after consumption.

The friend immediately called the emergency doctor, but on the way to the hospital she suffered a cardiac and respiratory arrest. The resuscitation by the helpers initially seemed successful, but the woman had suffered severe brain damage and died that same night. After mourning her daughter privately in recent years, the mother now wants to go public with the case to draw attention to the risks for allergy sufferers. Because nut allergies are a big burden. "The most important thing for those affected is that they inform people around them about their illness so that they can intervene in an emergency," said Micheline Ducre according to the "Bild" to the "Journal de Québec".

Affected people should always have an emergency syringe with them
In addition, allergy sufferers should always have the so-called "EpiPen" with them, because this can be life-saving. It is an emergency medication in the form of a syringe filled with adrenaline. This stress hormone, also known as “epinephrine”, stimulates the cardiovascular function again in a few seconds, causes the blood vessels to constrict and ensures that the person affected can breathe again. It was on that day that Myriam Ducre-Lemay did not have the emergency syringe with her. "She usually always carried her epipets with her, everyone knew that," said the young woman's mother. (No)

Author and source information



Video: 100% HONEST Qu0026A (May 2022).